Friday, April 20, 2012

the Adelaide files (part 1)

hello!
so as promised... here's a part of Adelaide i tried to take home with me to share. i didn't really document the whole trip but yeah, here are the snippets of it.




Adelaide CBD


one of the things that really stood out to me about Adelaide was how similar it is to Christchurch. The squarish and easily navigated layout of the streets in the CBD, the flatness of the land, and the general rustic and rather leisurely pace of life they have there. I later learnt that the same person who designed Christchurch also designed the South Australian colony of Adelaide. so yeah... i can see why it seems like i stepped out of Christchurch into... hold on... another Christchurch? but i have to say, Adelaide is definitely more advanced than good old CHCH, for one, they have a functional city centre, and a pretty decent public transport system. tram rides around the CBD area are free, which was a sweet deal for us because we lived in the city during our short stay there. Although, I have to say the ticketing system could be improved further.


Anyway, pictures...




Beautiful heritage houses on North Terrace, sort of their Gurney Drive minus the seafront. Don't they look so gorgeous? All I wanted to do there was sing "On the street where you live" from My Fair Lady. Can totally imagine Freddie singing that outside Professor Higgin's house. haha.







Outside my sis's campus




On North Terrace are where the universities are situated. I've never really seen two unis as intertwined as Uni of Adelaide, and UniSA. Seriously, there'll be parts where it's Uni of A, and then there'll be a random UniSA building right beside it. but all very old and pretty. 


And the architects who designed the buildings here really REALLY love their turrets and towers. 




I can never resist paper lantern lights










Rundle Mall - shopping area


One of the places we went almost everyday (because we lived nearby, and also, my sis lives right behind the shopping district), was Rundle Mall. It's more like a street lined with shops and cafes than an actual mall like how we're used to back home. So it was like our rendezvous place. The picture on the right is an old Arcade (that's what they used to call shopping malls in the past)... isn't it just deliciously heritagey? love the tiles.




Chinatown




I'm sorry to say I don't have many photos of Chinatown. this is one of the more decent ones. They have two foodcourts selling various kinds of Asian food from all around Asia there. jealous much! really wish we had a real Chinatown here in Chch. that would really solve our "so where do we go for lunch?" questions after church.




and yup, that's it for now.. I decided to break up my trips into a few posts, just because it's hard to manage my photos on blogspot. and so I can do it leisurely. til next time.

No comments: